Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Students Write Their Way to Hope, Courage: Read Their Poems - EdWeek

I wasn’t getting any closer to the masterpiece ...

I had always envisioned; it’s a cacophonous collision

Losing someone noncommittal, love so brittle—I went insane

Trying to remain civil enough to find patience in madness and

Peace in sadness

The Miami I grew up in is gone

No more random doodles of chalk on the sidewalk

Or children laughing, running, riding by

The familiar rhythm of quick cash and candy crinkling in their pockets

In just a few months, everything has changed; no one even goes outside

We divide and we hide and we stand far behind

‘Cause we can’t cross the six-feet lines

I threw away my emotions like crumpled paper

Knowing I still had them to deal with later

Switched up the tempo, I had to let go of the things I used to know

In the headache and stress, I lost my cool

But strangely, now I miss going to school

The normal ruckus of my boisterous peers, of random cheers

I miss the rumors and gossip that I heard but never cared about

Walking down the halls and up the stairs

The sound and friction of moving chairs, pencils scribbling

Basketballs dribbling, squeals and laughter that were never my own

But now I’m here at home

George Floyd, Brianna Taylor, so many others lost their lives

Black anger and colored grief took to the streets

Marching far, waving signs, forgetting systemic racism

Has always been by design, it’s not benign

This strum of blood-stained strings vibrates away horrendously

Riots, screams, quarantines

My blood runs cold, ‘cause I know what it means

Every day the word “COVID-19” find its way into my feed

Plaguing the media, echoing on TV

But fear is the real pandemic; bred by science and suspicion

On the global scale of flawed conviction

Masks plastered against our faces as hysteria chases the future

Rushing every moment until peace itself is stolen

It took me months to adjust to the empty stress that’s house arrest

Watching hours pass, ticking by like a metronome

Climate change; it fluctuates like dynamics, causing panic

Hoping to weather the storms of a past that’s always haunted us

Blasting full thrust into our hearts as prejudice crawls its way back into society

Though it never left, it’s worse than ever, but many think things are better

Now that Biden fills the spot where Trump once stood

Building walls with baleful calls masked by thunderous applause

Such a noble cause, many think

Drinking from the wine of ignorance

Hearing about jabs of man-made pestilence

Claiming safety without evidence

Distracting us from the bold craft that is Black excellence

Our views always shift when we fail to acknowledge that we are gifted

Though the curses of hatred have not been lifted, we have reason to hope

Remember our convalescence through recrudescence

Sing through hysteric harmonies and elegies

Strike memories and melodies on every chord

Cling to every chorus, sing on for us

I gaze beyond the world through these windows in my face

The life I once knew is no more; so, I make new beginnings

Without tears brimming or my head spinning

Or my ears ringing, but my heart singing

Where waterfalls trickle through the cracks

Clear, crisp cooling calms the craze

And horizons bleed gold over oceans

Sunsets melting over mountains

Sunrises bursting through the clouds

A realm where tranquility rivals fateful inevitability

In chance my choice is giving me

This “new normal” is horrible

But I’m adjusting willingly.

Adblock test (Why?)


https://ift.tt/95VUmhW

2022-04-25 17:04:37Z
CBMiamh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmVkd2Vlay5vcmcvdGVhY2hpbmctbGVhcm5pbmcvc3R1ZGVudHMtd3JpdGUtdGhlaXItd2F5LXRvLWhvcGUtY291cmFnZS1yZWFkLXRoZWlyLXBvZW1zLzIwMjIvMDTSAQA

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires